Family Portal: See Lots of Important Information, All in One Place
San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) uses a system for parent communications called Family Portal*
Why is Family Portal important?
Parents can access grades, attendance, and teacher contact information.
Starting this year, parents and guardians can also access students’ state test scores (CAASPP scores) through the Family Portal
All information is private and confidential.
Parents can see information for all SFUSD students in one family on a single website with one login.
Middle and high school parents can learn how a student is doing in a particular class.
Information is multilingual, in the language that the user chooses.
Once the account is set up, users can download an app to have easy access on their phone.
Parents can update contact information to continue to receive important text messages and phone calls from SFUSD.
Parents of middle and high school students are encouraged to go paperless. Click here to learn how to receive report cards through the Family Portal
How can parents/caregivers sign up for Family Portal?
1. The first step is to get an activation key from your child’s school. Check in the office at your school if you do not have your activation key.
2. You will need an email address to set up your account. If you do not have an email address, follow these instructions to create a free Google Gmail account: Google Gmail Email Account.
3. In your web browser, go to http://portal.sfusd.edu. At the bottom of the page are options for languages other than English. Tip: Bookmark this page.
4. Click SIS Family Portal, you will be prompted to log in. If you have not activated your account yet, click “More Options” in the bottom right corner of the box and then select “Activate Account.”
5. Read the Privacy Statement and click “I Accept” the statement.
6. Enter your name and the activation key exactly as they are written on the document from your school. Click, “Continue to Step 3.”
7. Choose a username and password (7 characters). Enter your email address and click, “Complete Account Activation.”
8. When you have successfully activated your account, the home screen will give access to school information for each of your enrolled students
9. You can also download the app for your phone.
PPS-SF worked with SFUSD in 2018 to survey families about their experiences with the Family Portal. One of the issues reported by many families involved difficulties merging accounts so that all students could be seen on one family portal account. If you are experiencing this issue, there is a form you can fill out to get help from SFUSD. A link to that form is here. This form can also be used to flag other difficulties you may be having logging into or using the Family Portal.
There is also a website set up by the SFUSD Department of Technology that has information, updates, and tutorials on using the Family Portal in six different languages. You can access that page here.
*Glossary Note: We have heard some confusion on the difference between Family Portal, Synergy, Gradebook for All, ParentVUE, and StudentVUE.
Synergy and Gradebook for All are the same thing. It is the SFUSD database system that has information on grades, attendance, and personal information.
ParentVUE is also called Family Portal and is the parent portal that helps families to sign in with Synergy and stay informed about their student’s progress. Families can see information about all of their students with only one login.
StudentVUE, also called Student Portal gives students access to see grades, attendance, and way to contact teachers.