Our Impact: Fall Semester Report
We are thrilled to share what we accomplished during the fall 2017 semester at PPS-SF. This impact report illustrates the important work we are doing in our schools and community. Thank you for taking a moment to read and learn more about our accomplishments.
At Parents for Public Schools of San Francisco (PPS-SF), we believe that public education is a fundamental right for all children, laying the groundwork for the future success of students, and providing the foundation of a thriving, liveable city for all families. We believe that strong San Francisco public schools create a strong city for all of us. We know that engaged, empowered parents are critical to the success of our children and our schools.
All San Franciscans are committed to the success of every public school in the City.
We promote the fundamental value of public education and pursue the success of every public school by sharing knowledge, bridging communities, and informing policy. Equity is intrinsic to our mission and must be embedded in our work so that schools can work toward the goals of meeting the needs of all students, closing the opportunity gap, and meeting the needs of low-income families.
Program Highlights - Fall 2017
Enrollment. Promoting the public value of public education.
- 115 enrollment workshops reaching 3,477 attendees
- 30% of enrollment workshops in languages other than English
- 40% of workshops in the southeast neighborhoods with 783 attendees
- Provided over 500 one-on-one coaching sessions across the city, including 150 in the Chinese, Latino, and African American communities
- Trained 320 educators and community leaders
Family Partnership for Educational Equity. Building and supporting families’ capacity to advocate and represent family voice at the school and district level.
- Over 50% of Family Engagement events in southeast neighborhoods
- 30 meetings and workshops with 292 attendees
- 16 community events in English, Spanish, and Cantonese/Mandarin, reaching 695 attendees
- New partnership with SFUSD to increase access to Gradebook for All
Policy. Serving as a bridge between families, schools, and the district.
- Live-Tweeted 14 Board of Education meetings with a 125% increase in user engagement from previous year
- Co-hosted “Making Sense of District Data,” reaching 130 attendees in English, Spanish, and Cantonese/Mandarin
- Supported SFUSD Board of Education resolution “Undocumented, Unafraid, and United Student Resolution,” and communicated via postcards, website, and digital platforms in English, Spanish, and Cantonese/Mandarin
- 12,000+ email newsletter subscribers
- 2,502 Facebook followers
- 1,240 Twitter followers
- 11,000 WeChat followers (Chinese)
- New Spanish text-messaging app with 165 members
- 10,000 page views average per month of ppssf.org
- Launched Spanish and Chinese blogs and website content
What People Say About PPS-SF
Thanks for the help in navigating the SF school system. You helped us find the best schools for our daughter. She is flourishing!
PPS-SF is a vital resource to the city! Thank you for your smart and thoughtful efforts to support the children and families of our public schools! Your leadership is much appreciated.
It’s very important to invest in our public schools, especially in these political times. PPS-SF was also a very helpful resource when navigating the system.