PPS-SF Volunteer/Internship Posting: Education Policy + Social Media (BoardWatch) Volunteer
TITLE: BoardWatch Volunteer/Intern
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
HOURS: 5-15 hours per week
HOW TO APPLY
Please send an email with a brief description of why you are interested in the position and your availability to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the term "BoardWatch - First Name_Last Name" in the subject line. To learn more about Parents for Public Schools of San Francisco (PPS-SF), visit www.ppssf.org.
Our vision is that all San Franciscans are committed to the success of every public school in the city.
Parents for Public Schools of San Francisco promotes the fundamental value of public education and pursues the success of every public school by sharing knowledge, bridging communities, and informing policy.
Since 1999, we have helped over 275,000 families navigate SFUSD enrollment and become leaders in their schools and beyond, building a parent community dedicated to the success of each child in every family.
We are looking for a self motivated volunteer or intern to support PPS-SF’s BoardWatch program. BoardWatch provides coverage and analysis of San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) Board of Education meetings with the goal of making this information accessible to all San Francisco families and to create a larger narrative about key shifts impacting children in classrooms. Visit our website for examples of our BoardWatch coverage.
- Strong interest in education and civic engagement.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Knowledge and experience in working with diverse populations.
- Comfort with social media.
- Public policy and/or journalism experience.
- Ability to speak and write professionally in Spanish or Cantonese
- Attend and report on select meetings of the SFUSD Board of Education (some evening availability required).
- Follow up with Board members and school district staff to obtain timely information about changes to SFUSD policies and priorities.
- Engage with families to solicit feedback on select policy topics.
- Write short articles on current SFUSD policy initiatives.
- Assist policy director with program development, implementation and evaluation.
Dates/hours can be flexible to accommodate a class schedule but candidates need to have evening availability to attend SFUSD board meetings at least one Tuesday per month at 6PM. We are happy to work with your school to help you earn college credit.
PPS-SF does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.