Keep a Good Attitude: A Guide to the SFUSD Enrollment Fair
Parents for Public Schools of San Francisco started the first enrollment fair more than 15 years ago. The event is now organized and hosted by SFUSD, but we continue to attend and to share our best tips for making the most of the fair each year.
The SFUSD Enrollment Fair is a great way to learn more about public schools. Principals, teachers, and parent volunteers representing every public elementary, middle, and high school will be on hand to answer questions and share information.
This year the fair takes place on Saturday, October 14, 2017, 9:00am to 2:00pm, at John O'Connell High School, 2355 Folsom Street.
The fair can feel a bit overwhelming, but with a good attitude, some patience, and a full bottle of water, you will find many answers to your public school enrollment questions.
PPS-SF Tips for Navigating the Enrollment Fair
- Use public transportation or shuttle buses (see schedule below). Parking is very limited.
- Arrive early. Doors open at 9am.
- Plan to spend about 2 hours at the fair.
- Bring: tote bag for handouts, your phone charged for calendar updates (or a paper calendar), water and snacks, a notebook or digital tablet.
- Childcare is available for ages 3–7. Register in advance at YuC2@sfusd.edu.
Once You Get There
- PPS-SF will be there! Come visit us and pick up a handout with our best resources and advice.
- Attend an SFUSD enrollment workshop.
- Visit the Educational Placement Center (EPC) table and pick up an Enrollment Guide and an SFUSD application.
- Bring your most important questions for school representatives. Use our School Tour Checklist.
- Save your school assignment questions for PPS-SF or SFUSD. School staff and parents often give out incorrect information.
- Conserve paper. Take photos of important contact info or handouts and build a digital file.
Little and Big Kids
The fair can be noisy and crowded. Small children may feel overstimulated. We recommend leaving little ones at home if possible. If you do bring small children, take advantage of the childcare on site.
However, older kids may enjoy attending the fair to get involved in their school search. Encourage your rising middle schooler or high schooler to come up with his or her own list of questions.
Shuttle Bus Pick Ups (Coordinated by SFUSD)
Pick up departure from the following locations to John O’Connell HS:
Bus #1: Visitacion Valley ES, 8:30am, 9:45am, 10:45am
Bus #1: Leola Havard EEC, 8:45am, 10am, 11am
Bus #2: Jean Parker ES, 8:30am, 9:30am, 10:30am
Pick up at John O’Connell HS to the following locations:
Bus #1: to Visitacion Valley ES, Noon, 1pm, 2pm
Bus #1: to Leola Havard EEC, Noon, 1pm, 2pm
Bus #2: to Jean Parker ES, Noon, 1pm, 2pm