Upcoming SFUSD Board of Education Meetings
SFUSD Board of Education holds its regular meeting Tuesday night
Board of Education Meeting: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 6 PM, at 555 Franklin Street.
Agenda for the meeting here.
Highlights of the meeting:
Superintendent's report, commendations, and awards.
- RAVE distinguished service award will be given to Rachael Spillard, Science Teacher at Washington HS
- The Quality Teacher and Education Act (QTEA) Committee will give an annual report
- QTEA is a voter-approved initiative that provides funding via a parcel tax to help recruit and retain teachers, provide professional development and support innovation and technology in our schools. Here is a link to more information about QTEA
- The Board of Education will vote on a resolution clarifying the process for naming an SFUSD building or facility
- The full text of the resolution is here
- The resolution would allow buildings to be named after people who have made outstanding contributions to the school community or who have made contributions of statewide, national or international significance. Names could also reflect a school's geography
- A proposed name would have to be approved by the board and would require a public hearing. A citizen's advisory committee could also be appointed to consider name options
- The SFUSD board of education could make an agreement to give naming rights to a person or entity, if certain conditions are met, including a prohibition on "any message, image or other depiction that advocates or endorses the use of drugs, tobacco or alcohol, encourages unlawful discrimination against any person or group, or promotes the use of violence ..."
Public discussion of SFUSD's Service Standards
Introduction of proposals
- These are items that are being introduced and will be discussed in depth at a later committee meeting or meeting of the full board before a vote
- There is time for public comment on these items, but there will not be a discussion tonight
- Proposals being introduced are:
- A new policy on hazardous materials
- A policy on funds transfers
- Updated policies on admission, interdistrict transfer, and residency requirements
- New policies on chronic absenteeism and SFUSD's school attendance review board
- A proposal to consider authorizing a new 6-12 grade charter school
- Full text of each of these proposals are attached to the board agenda
There is always an opportunity for public comment at school board meetings.
At regular meetings, speakers may speak to any item being voted on or may give general public comment during the time reserved for "Public Comment on General Matters." Speakers must sign up in advance, either by calling the board office at (415) 241-6493 or filling out a speaker card at the meeting and handing it to Esther Casco, the executive assistant to the board, who sits next to the podium. Speaker cards must be turned in before the agenda item being spoken to is officially "called."
At committee meetings, those wishing to speak may sign up in advance or simply approach the podium when the committee chair calls for public comment.
Members of the public are typically allowed two minutes to speak, but the time given may be shorter if there are a large number of speakers.
Recording and Live Coverage of Meetings
You can access recordings of regular and committee meetings.
Video recordings of regular meetings (not available for committee meetings)
Audio recordings of committee meetings (click where it says "audio recording," under the meeting agenda)
Recordings are usually posted a few days after the meeting.