Upcoming Board of Education Meetings
SFUSD Board of Education holds its regular meeting Tuesday evening.
Board of Education meeting: Tuesday, February 27 @ 6pm, at 555 Franklin Street.
Agenda for the meeting here.
Topics to be discussed include:
- Report from the Migrant Education Committee Parent Advisory Council. Information about the Migrant Education Program can be found here.
- RAVE distinguished service award will be presented to the Pre-K team at Rooftop Community School: Danielle Lurie, Haiyang Yu, Ana Roblero, and Monica Mendoza.
- RAVE special service award will be presented to William Patterson, Special Education Teacher at Ruth Asawa School of the Arts.
- RAVE stands for Recognizing All Valuable Employees: "Distinguished service" awards go to employees of 10 or more years and "special service" awards are for those with SFUSD fewer than 10 years.
- Interested in nominating an SFUSD employee to receive a RAVE award? Parents, students and community members can make nominations here.
Proposals for Action:
Board Policy 6145.2 on Athletic Competition: full text here
Prohibits discrimination and requires schools to offer equivalent opportunities for males and females in the athletic program.
The policy also addresses eligibility requirements, sportsmanship expectations, and health and safety expectations. Includes alerting a student's parent/guardian of the date, time, and extent of any injury suffered by the student and any actions taken to treat the student.
This policy was heard at the Rules, Policy, and Legislation Committee on February 5, 2018, and received a positive recommendation.
Board Policy 6142.1, Sexual Health and HIV/AIDS Prevention Instruction: full text here
- Provides that all students in grades 7–12 will be offered comprehensive sexual health education and HIV prevention education, at least once in middle school and once in high school.
- Gives parents a notice each year that they can opt their student out of this curriculum by submitting a written request.
- The Curriculum and Program Committee heard the policy on February 15, 2018, and recommended the item for second reading and adoption by the Board.
- Introduction of Proposals (these will be voted on at a later meeting)
- Policies on student organizations and temporary athletic coaches
- Public Education Expenditure Plan (PEEF) approval
- The PEEF expenditure plan details the use of funds generated by 2014 SF voter-approved "Children and Families First" initiative.
- General areas funded are school sports, libraries, arts, music, and student wellness.
- Here is the proposed expenditure plan for next year, 2018–2019: Proposed PEEF Expenditure Plan.
There is always an opportunity for public comment at school board meetings.
At regular meetings, speakers may speak to any item being voted on or may give general public comment during the time reserved for "Public Comment on General Matters." Speakers must sign up in advance, either by calling the board office at (415) 241-6493 or filling out a speaker card at the meeting and handing it to Esther Casco, the executive assistant to the board, who sits next to the podium. Speaker cards must be turned in before the agenda item being spoken to is officially "called."
At committee meetings, those wishing to speak may sign up in advance or simply approach the podium when the committee chair calls for public comment.
Members of the public are typically allowed two minutes to speak, but time given may be shorter if there are a large number of speakers.
Recording and Live Coverage of Meetings
You can access recordings of regular and committee meetings.
Video recordings of regular meetings (not available for committee meetings)
Audio recordings of committee meetings (click where it says "audio recording," under the meeting agenda)
Recordings are usually posted a few days after the meeting.
#BoardWatch: PPS-SF live tweet coverage
Follow PPS-SF's twitter feed: this week we plan to cover the Board of Education meeting on Tuesday night. You don't need to have a Twitter account to follow! Just log on to Twitter and search @ppssf #BoardWatch.