Upcoming SFUSD Board Meetings
Two meetings this week for the SFUSD Board of Education. Monday night the SFUSD Board of Education will hold a meeting of the Rules, Policy and Legislation Committee and Wednesday the Budget and Business Services Committee will meet.
Augmented Rules, Policy and Legislation Committee Meeting: Monday May 1 @ 7PM in the Board Room (note later time)
Agenda for the meeting here
Highlight: The committee will weigh in on four proposed board policies and make a recommendation on a resolution supporting a state bill to repeal a gun control loophole
- The committee will hear a report on pending state legislation that may impact SFUSD
- Four new or revised board policies are being considered:
- Board Policy 4019 is on professional standards for district employees and sets out a list of 18 examples of "inappropriate conduct" which must be promptly investigated if reported and my subject employees to discipline, including in some cases reports to credentialing agencies and/or law enforcement. Examples of inappropriate conduct include: physical violence or threats of physical violence, inappropriate fraternization with a student, using tobacco in the workplace, dishonesty and divulging confidential information about students. See the full text of the policy here
Board Policy 4030 updates SFUSD's policy on Non Discrimination in Employment and bars discrimination and harassment, for interns and volunteers as well as employees based on "a person's actual or perceived race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sex, or sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by law." See the full text of the policy here
Board Policy 0410 updates the policy on Non Discrimination in District Programs and Activities to comply with some new state law requirements. The full text is here
Board Policy 3100 updates the Budget policy to align with the requirements of the Local Control Funding Formula adopted by the state legislature in 2013-14, including describing how additional funds received by SFUSD to serve low income students, English Learners and foster youth were used to increase or improve outcomes for those students. Full text of the proposed updated policy is here.
- A resolution will be considered that would remove a state law gun control loophole allowing a school superintendent to grant special permission to individual citizens to carry a firearm in the vicinity of a school. Resolution text is here.
Budget and Business Services committee meeting: Wednesday May 3 @ 6:00PM in the Board Room
Agenda for the meeting is here
Topics to be discussed include:
- Presentation by the Department of Technology on planned use of QTEA funds for technology needs. QTEA stands for Quality Teacher and Education Act, a proposition that passed in San Francisco in 2008 and provides additional education funds to SFUSD for specific purposes through a parcel tax.
- An update on the SFUSD budget and Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP) which was recently released in draft form. The budget and LCAP must be approved by the end of June.
- A report on the impact a loss of federal funds for after-school programs could have on SFUSD. This cut is included in President Trump's budget proposal. Recent NPR coverage on this topic is here.
- A departmental budget presentation from the Early Education department. The committee periodically hears from particular departments within SFUSD to understand priorities and future initiatives that may require investment.
There is always an opportunity for public comment on the items discussed at the committee meeting or topics that fall under the purview of this committee. Usually it is not necessary to sign up in advance - speakers will be called to the podium when the chair determines it is time for public comment.
Committee meetings are not live streamed, but audio is available after the fact on the SFUSD website. Audio is usually available within 1-3 days after the meeting here.