Upcoming Board of Education Meetings
Two meetings this week for the SFUSD Board of Education. Tuesday is a Committee of the Whole meeting and Thursday the Ad Hoc Committee on Student Assignment meets.
Committee of the Whole: Tuesday December 5 @ 6PM in the Board Room
Agenda for the meeting here
Topic to be discussed:
Update African American Achievement Resolution adopted by the Board of Education on May 26, 2015
- In May 2015, the Board of Education unanimously passed a resolution directing SFUSD to set annual goals that would close the achievement and discipline gap for African American students in the next six years. The resolution also called for an Annual African American Student Report to monitor and support targeted strategies for African American students. View the resolution here.
The slides from last year's annual report are here. These slides are a very detailed overview of programs, partnerships, goals and outcomes related to the African American Achievement and Leadership Initiative in SFUSD. Recommended read!
Augmented Ad Hoc Committee on Student Assignment: Thursday December 7 @ 6PM in the Board Room.
Agenda for the meeting here
The Student Assignment committee usually meets several times per year to discuss monitor student assignment policy. This is the first meeting of the 2017-18 school year.
- District staff will recap of topics discussed last academic year. Summaries and materials from last year's meetings are available here.
- There will be a review of data from last year's enrollment cycle.
- There will be a discussion of possible future student assignment system policy changes. One of the areas for growth noted in Superintendent Matthew's recently released 90 day report was that "the school assignment process needs to meet the desires of the district."
- Twenty minutes of time is allotted for public comment.
There is always an opportunity for public comment at school board meetings. At committee meetings public comment does not typically require advance sign up. The committee chair will call for public comment on a particular topic before commissioners begin discussion of the topic. Members of the public interested in speaking simply approach the podium when called. Speakers are typically allowed two minutes to address the board, but time given may be shorter if there are a large number of speakers.
Recording and Live Coverage of Meetings
You can access recordings of regular and committee meetings are available - but not immediately following a meeting.
Video recordings of regular meetings (not available for committee meetings)
Audio recordings of committee meetings (click where it says "audio recording," under the meeting agenda)
Recordings are usually posted a few days after the meeting.
#BoardWatch: PPS-SF live tweet coverage
Follow PPS-SF's twitter feed: this week we plan to cover Thursday's meeting! You don't need to have a Twitter account to follow! Just log on to Twitter and search @ppssf #BoardWatch.