Middle School Enrollment Facts: What You Need to Know
Remember when you enrolled in kindergarten and you heard a lot of playground chatter that turned out not to be true? The same goes for middle school enrollment.
At PPS-SF we have fielded many questions and rumors from well-intentioned families who are receiving incorrect information about middle school enrollment from friends and even from school administrators.
PPS-SF works directly with the Educational Placement Center at SFUSD and monitors Board of Education meetings so that we can share the most accurate and up-to-date enrollment policies. For families who are enrolling in middle school in August 2018, here are the facts that you need to know:
- FACT: You must fill out an enrollment application for middle school. Students in K–5 schools are not automatically enrolled in their feeder schools.
- FACT: All currently enrolled SFUSD 5th graders who are attending a K–5 school should have received a pre-printed middle school enrollment form in the mail at home. If you did not get the form, please check with your elementary school office.
- FACT: Students are given priority for their middle school feeder (right after siblings), but you must list the feeder middle school on the application. It is not automatic.
- FACT: You do not have to list the feeder school as your #1 choice. It can be anywhere on the list. If there are other schools you prefer, you can rank them above your feeder school. You will still receive the feeder school tie-breaker even if you don’t list it first.
- FACT: Applications must be turned in at your current elementary school or at the Educational Placement Center at 555 Franklin Street, in person, no later than January 12, 2018.
- FACT: Students from elementary school language immersion or biliteracy programs do not automatically get placed in the middle school language program. They get a current pathway tie-breaker if they list the program on their application.
Please check in with us if you have further questions. We invite you to attend a PPS-SF enrollment workshop for more details on the process.