Upcoming SFUSD Board Meetings
Four meetings in a row this week for the SFUSD Board of Education. Monday night the rules committee meets, Tuesday is a regular meeting, Wednesday is the budget committee, and Thursday the curriculum and programs committee meets.
Rules, Policy and Legislation Committee Meeting: Monday April 3, 2017 @ 6PM in the Board Room
Agenda for he meeting here
Highlights: The board will discuss pending legislation it is considering weighing in on and also make a recommendation on a proposed new policy bringing more uniformity to grades/student evaluations. For further summary and full text of the proposal click here.
Regular Board of Education Meeting: Tuesday April 4, 2017 @ 6PM in the Board Room
Agenda for the meeting here
Highlights: Have you heard we almost have a new Superintendent? It may be official after Tuesday's meeting. The board will vote to approve the contract with Dr. Vincent Matthews. A vote will also be taken on the new grading policy discussed above.
Budget and Business Services Committee Meeting: Wednesday April 5 @ 6PM in the Board Room
- The committee will talk about the proposal to build a new school in Mission Bay and what that would mean from a financial perspective.
- There will also be discussion of how QTEA parcel tax funds are being spent. This money can fund things like teacher training, technology, and incentives for innovation as well as supplementing teacher pay.
- The state of SFUSD federal funding under President Trump's proposed Budget will be evaluated (this will most likely be a look at "worst case scenarios" - nothing has passed through Congress.)
- The committee will then discuss possible trade-offs in light of this year's tightening SFUSD budget.
- Finally, the committee will receive an update on SFUSD's "fund development" efforts, in other words, alternative sources of funding, like donations and grants that do not rely on Sacramento or Washington.
There is always an opportunity for public comment at school board meetings. At regular meetings, speakers may speak to any item being voted on or may give general public comment during the time reserved for "Public Comment on General Matters." Speakers must sign up in advance, either by calling the board office at (415) 241-6493 or filling out a speaker card at the meeting and handing it to Esther Casco, the executive assistant to the board who sits next to the podium. Speaker cards must be turned in before the agenda item being spoken to is officially "called." Members of the public are typically be allowed two minutes to speak, but time given may be shorter if there are a large number of speakers.
At committee meetings, the public may comment on items discussed at the committee meeting or topics that fall under the purview of this committee. Usually it is not necessary to sign up in advance - speakers will be called to the podium when the chair determines it is time for public comment.
Recordings and Live Coverage of Meetings
You can access recordings of regular and committee meetings. Audio recordings are usually posted a few days after the meeting on the SFUSD site here. Regular board meetings are broadcast on KALW, SFGOVTV2, and via live webcast. You can also follow PPS-SF's twitter feed @ppssf, we'll be there on Tuesday.